Ropes & Gray
David joined Ropes & Gray in 2016 as an attorney in the real estate investments & transactions department. David represents and counsels a wide variety of clients including private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions.
David specializes in the negotiation of joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions, co-investments, management agreements, complex secured lending transactions, restructurings and negotiations of primary investments in private equity funds. David also assists in the real estate-related aspects of corporate financing, bankruptcy proceedings, mergers and related transactions. In addition, he provides guidance on issues impacting institutional investors in their capacity as owners, tenants and borrowers as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, including forbearance arrangements among borrowers, lenders, landlords, tenants and senior housing operators, implications under property and asset management agreements as well as general advice on the impact that certain key real estate-related provisions of the CARES Act has on owners and borrowers.
Prior to joining the firm, David was a partner in the real estate practice group at a large firm in New York.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial transaction of providing a $187M loan to a US-based real estate private equity fund and national developer in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of a mixed-use property located in downtown Brooklyn, NY.
- Ongoing representation of Bain Capital Real Estate in the negotiation of a programmatic joint venture and ongoing representation in acquisitions, development, financings and ground leasing of real estate assets across the United States on the platform.
- Ongoing representation of a public REIT in connection with the acquisition, disposition and management of senior living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, medical office properties and assisted living facilities.
- Represented an international life insurance company in the recapitalization of more than $1 billion of commercial office, retail and multifamily real estate assets located throughout the United States, including negotiation of multiple purchase and sale agreements and joint venture agreements for assets in the portfolio.
- A global investment manager in joint venture investments and joint venture and real estate fund recapitalizations, acquisitions and related financings involving more than $3 billion of senior living, industrial, office, hospitality and multi-family real estate assets located throughout the United States.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. real estate private equity funds in a private REIT share sale of multiple REITs with a purchase price of $950M for over 100 industrial properties consisting of 14M sq/ft.
- Represented public REIT in the acquisition of a portfolio of eight industrial properties from subsidiaries of one of the largest U.S. real estate private equity funds for a purchase price of approximately $280.0 million.
- Ongoing representation of an international financial firm in connection with various co-investments with national and international private equity funds to acquire hotel, condominium and office properties around the U.S.
- A private equity investor in connection with a $500 million mortgage loan to Sears Holding Corporation secured by 24 owned real estate assets located throughout the U.S.
- Ongoing representation of university endowment in connection with direct and indirect investments and co-investments in global real estate private equity funds.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. private equity funds in connection with the acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex with a combined 1.3m square feet with a purchase price of approximately $195M.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex in a metropolitan area with a purchase price of approximately $60M.
- Representation of The Quad Preparatory School pro bono in the negotiation of a commercial lease of approximately 50,000 square feet in downtown Manhattan for a new Upper School; honoree at the School’s 2019 Founder’s Gala.