Rent Control, Eviction Moratoriums & Rent Cancellation:
Multifamily property investors, owners and developers face serious threats from local, state and federal government, as well as avenues of relief. At the local level, Chicago has passed or is considering passage of a number of ordinances affecting evictions and renewals, adding months to the normal processes of apartment turnover, as well as fees that the landlord may need to pay in some circumstances. At the state level, Illinois is still actively considering rent control, as well as major pro-tenant legislation that could impact all aspects of the landlord-tenant relationship including evictions. At the federal level, there are already restrictions on properties backed by federally financed loans, and new bills are being considered that could further restrict landlords autonomy, as well as a few that could provide relief and bolster rent collections in the near term, such as renter subsidies, extensions of increased unemployment stipends and additional stimulus checks.
How does this play out on the ground between landlord and tenant? How are major apartment property owners reworking their approach to tenants including agreements that they are entering into with existing tenants, or lease term changes to new rental leases? How does this affect the attractiveness of new deals going forward? Join this special session to learn what is happening and what you can do about it.
- Understand what current regulations are in force and how they affect multifamily
- Learn the status of the court system and how this will impact landlord-tenant cases
- Hear how and where rent control would play out if enacted
- Receive analysis on how the regulatory environment impacts valuations
- Get the latest on eviction moratoriums and the threat of rent cancellations
- Hear what top apartment property owners are doing and planning
- John Sebree, SVP & National Director – Multifamily, Marcus & Millichap
- Valerie Fertitta, Managing Director, Greystar
- Jim Lapides, VP, National Multifamily Housing Council
- Michael Mini, EVP, Chicagoland Apartment Association
- David Schwartz, CEO, Waterton
Powered by GreenPearl
Private Label Conferences
We believe in the magic that happens when the smartest, boldest minds come together resulting in business growth and industry evolution. We build high-value events that foster relationships, tap into intellectual wisdom, promote authentic interaction and create success for our clients.